Skip to main content


I have a water break inside my house who do I call? 

Call 970-434-7328. If it is regular business hours, our Customer Service Representatives will assist you. If it is after hours, on a weekend, or a Holiday we have a Service Technician on-call 24 hrs. a day 365 days a year.

I am a Property Owner. Can I have my account put into my Tenant's name? 

No. Accounts for Water Service must remain in the Property Owner's name. The official Property Owner is identified by the Mesa County Assessor's Office and is the only person authorized to receive detailed account information.  However, a Property Owner has the option of selecting a "Third Party Notification" to send a duplicate bill to an identified Tenant. See the next question.

How can my Tenant receive a copy of the Bill if you do not change the account into their name? 

We have an option for Property Owners so that your Tenant can receive a duplicate Bill in their name. It is called Third Party Notification. There is a $20.00 charge for each new Tenant that would need to be set-up in our billing software. 

I have received a Discontinuation of Service Notice. How much can I pay to avoid being shut off? 

We can accept partial payment as long as it is received in our office by 5:00 pm on the Due Date. Please call and verify that you are paying enough to avoid the Discontinuation of Service.

I have noticed my water use has increased since last month. 

Common reasons for increased water use are;

  1. warmer temperatures and air conditioning
  2. increased outdoor watering of flowers and vegetation
  3. household guests
  4. leaking toilet flappers
  5. and dripping faucets

While there isn't much we can suggest for household guests, we do have a few other suggestions.

Leaking Toilets:

The most common and surprising cause of increased usage is a leaking toilet. You can usually hear a toilet that continues to run after a flush, but not always. A toilet that continues to run can waste up to 200 gallons a day!!! The most common toilet leak is a deteriorated or defective flush valve (flapper) ball at the bottom of the toilet tank. If it does not make a tight seal, water will leak into the toilet bowl, and continue to use water refilling.

The following simple test can help you determine if you have a leaking toilet:  

  • Take the lid off of the tank behind the bowl, flush the toilet, then wait for it to fully refill.
  • Put a few drops of food coloring in the tank.
  • If you have a leak you will begin to see color in the toilet bowl.
  • Wait at least 20 minutes to make sure you suspect a small leak.
  • Obtain and install a new flapper unit from the hardware store, or contact a plumber.
Leaking Faucets:

It is important to routinely check your plumbing and home for leaky faucets and leaky valves under sinks and connecting to water-using appliances such as water heaters. These leaks are usually easy to see. Unfixed leaks can waste hundreds and even thousands of gallons of water a month.

What if I have a leak and can't find my shut-off valve? 

Call 970-434-7328 and our Customer Service Representatives will assist you and dispatch a Service Technician. 

Where is my shut-off valve? 

Generally, shut-off valves are located within the house where the main water line enters the house. This could be in a crawl space or most commonly near the water heater or furnace area.

Who is responsible to fix the leak? 

The Clifton Water District is responsible for the water line from the road to the meter pit. The lines from the meter pit to the house and inside the house are the customer's responsibility to maintain and repair.